Entrants: Competitions are open to all members of camera clubs or societies in the Nelson, Marlborough, Motueka, Golden Bay and West coast areas.
Images: Images previously accepted in these competitions may not be re-entered.
The host club has the right to disqualify any image that does not comply with the Rules here stated.
Images entered in the individual competitions (Novice/Open/Landscape/Natural History) and the Geoffrey C. Wood Competition may be used by the club in the Matthewson Trophy, but images entered in the individual competitions cannot be duplicated in the Geoffrey C. Wood Competition.
Entries may be trade processed but must have been exposed by the entrant.
- Prints may be of any size provided that the mount does not exceed a minimum of 250mm x 180mm (or 9” x 7”) and a maximum of 510mm x 410mm (or 20” x 16”), or any shape that does not exceed these dimensions.
- Labelling: Only the Category and Title shall be written on the back (top centre) of the print, e.g. Open “Morning Sunrise”
- Digital images of the prints must be uploaded on the online entry form (available from June 14) (as JPEG files only and saved in the sRGB colour space. Images are to be sized to a maximum of 1620 pixels wide and 1080 pixels high).
- Prints should be packaged in re-usable packaging and sent to:
C/o Elizabeth Davidson, LPSNZ,
30A Lakings Road, Blenheim, 7201.
- If you are not attending the meeting, prints will be returned via a member of your club who is attending, or may be returned via post or courier if the return postage or courier ticket is included with your print entries.
Digital projected images
- Digital projected images shall be submitted on the online entry form (available from June 14) as JPEG files only and saved in the sRGB colour space. Images are to be sized to a maximum of 1620 pixels wide and 1080 pixels high.
Please ensure that all fields are completed for each competition entered. Do not forget to send digital images of prints using the online entry form (available from June 14). An email will be sent confirming entries which have been received.
- There is a single $10.00 fee for entry in the individual competitions. (ie if you enter both the Geoffrey C. Wood Trophy and the individual competition you pay only $10 total).
There is no entry fee for club entries in the Matthewson Trophy.
- Entry fees by Direct Credit are preferred and may be paid to the following SBS account: Marlborough Camera Club, Account 031355 0761081 00
- Please include your Name in the Particulars and SSComp as Reference.
Winners of trophies will be are entitled to hold the trophy for the ensuing year, returning it at their own cost to the next host club on request.
- An entry in this competition shall be made by a club or society only in the Nelson, Marlborough, Motueka, Golden Bay, and West Coast areas, and shall consist of six digital projected images.
- Not more than two images in each entry may be made by any one member of that club or society.
- The sets should be judged as individual exhibition works, with the club entry gaining the highest aggregate being the winner.
- It is not meant to be a club set where a common theme or balance of work is required.
- Online Entry Form
Individual Member Competitions
Novice Open Competition
- Entry in this competition shall be made by an individual identified as a Novice only.
- The entrant must never have previously entered a Seddon Shield competition.
- The entrant must not have previously had images accepted in any major photographic competitions (including regional and national salons).
- The entrant must not hold any photographic honours or distinctions.
- The entrant must have been a member of their club for less than two years.
- An entry may be any combination of prints and/or digital projected images to make a combined total of six images or less.
- Photos entered in the Novice Open cannot also be entered in the Geoffrey C Wood Trophy.
- The subject is Open.
- Online Entry Form
Open/Landscape/Natural History Competitions
- Entry in these competitions shall be made by individual members.
- Individuals entering the Novice competition may not also enter these competitions.
- An entry may be any combination of prints and/or digital projected images to make a combined total of six images or less. Examples of an entry may include:
- 6 prints open or 6 digital projected images open.
- 2 prints open, plus 2 digital projected images open, plus 2 natural history.
The Natural History competition is for New Zealand Natural History only. Scientific names must be included in the title. Examples of New Zealand Natural History include:
- Animal life: Native animals, birds, insects, animal tracks, nests, marine life, etc., but NOT domestic or mounted specimens.
- Plant Life: Flowers (not formal arrangements), trees, shrubs, ferns, fungi, etc.
- Photomicrography: In connection with biological and geographical subjects.
- General scenery with a specific aspect, geology, clouds, meteorological interest, etc.
- Naturalised subjects: e.g. deer, black swan, monarch butterfly, and wild briar (NOT cultivated roses).
Images entered in the Open/Landscape/Natural History cannot also be entered in the Geoffrey C Wood Trophy competition.
Geoffrey C Wood Trophy
- Entry in this competition shall be made by individual members and may include those entering the Novice competition.
- An entry shall consist of a portfolio of six images.
- The portfolio will consist of six prints in even numbered years and six digital projected images in odd numbered years.
- An entry should demonstrate competence and diversity of skill and expertise.
- Examples of Diversity include:
- Natural History
- Night Photography
- Still Life.
- Images entered in the Geoffrey C. Wood cannot also be entered in the Open/Landscape/Natural History and Novice Open competitions.
- Online Entry Form
Matthewson Trophy: Awarded to the club placed first in the interclub competition.
Seddon Shield Area Photographic Competition Novice Award: Awarded to the overall champion image in the Novice Open Competition.
Seddon Shield Photographic Clubs Open Champion Trophy: Awarded to the overall champion Open print/digital projected image.
Ellis Dudgeon Memorial Landscape Award: Awarded to the overall champion Landscape print/digital projected image.
Webber Memorial Natural History Award: Awarded to the overall champion Natural History print/digital projected image.
Geoffrey C. Wood Trophy: Awarded to the winning portfolio.
Honours, Merits, Acceptances: Awarded at the judges’ discretion. All images awarded Acceptances and/or Awards will be given certificates. The Judges’ decisions are final, no correspondence will be entered into.